Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dos Finbar Saunders know the muffin man? fnurr furrr

New line in muffins going well, unfortunately, but perhaps predictably, it's spawned a whole new generation of Finbar Saunder(s), replete with new double entendres.

Was funny the first 20 or so times to hear "if my wife comes in can you give her a muffin please" or "my girlfriend enjoys a good muffin".... you get the picture.

Anyway no pics of Finbar to be found and all the ones about muffin man are Americanised and it's not a muffin they talk of it's a bun.  I havn't seen Viz for many a year so it must be due for a revival anytime soon, a movie or perhaps a Musical.

Viz reminds me of the late 80's along with When Saturday Comes (a football fanzine) and numerous Leeds United fanzines.  It was a time in my life when I had money to spend on things, things other than tax, car repairs, flour, pie trays and babies Nappies.

We had season tickets at Elland Road still as it was before all seater stadiums and people could aford to go to more than one match per decade.  We went to most away games and the weekends had a comfortable and reassuring pattern to them.  Friday, finish work and go drinking in the biker pubs, off to the nightclub then back home to watch James Whale on TV.... Frank Sidebottom was also massive then and we tried never to miss him.


It's not as funny watching it now, away from my old sofa with my drunken mates, but this is the episode I remember the most. 

Add caption
After the beer and cultural session that was Friday, it was on to Saturday and off to see Leeds Play.. Wherever that may have been. Great few years that with promotion and pipping Man United to the last league championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment