Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Indian quarter Bangkok - Curry hunting

blog search engine
food-drink links

Phahurat Bangkok,

We don't sell too many curry pies, but the buyers do buy them regularly so they must be something approaching authentic.   Always a few tricks required to make it survive the re-cooking and freezing processes, but they come out very well and I have one after most of my Chang sessions.

I found the process too easy and was sure there must be a harder way to make curry, a way in which it might come out better than your average pie filling.

Treat for the senses down here.  I first stumbled upon in during a futile foil shopping mission in China Town.... Don't ask.  I walked pretty much every side street running from Yaowarat Road, connecting to Charoen Crung and visiting the last supplier on the last road I noticed a change in the area.

Indian Emporium was opposite where I sat and next door were a string of Indian Restaurants all calling my name with their fine aromas.  On exploring further I found a series of Indian spice wholesalers with packets, pastes and sacks full of produce designed to drive us curry nuts into a frenzy.

Every possible combination of spices was on offer and the guy in the shop was very helpful.  As I was in there a few customers came in and he showed me what they had bought and I assume it was for restaurants as they bought boxes of the stuff.  So I pitched in and have not been dissappointed.  There are a few things that need to be added at various stages so it feels authentic when I cook it.... none of that "open jar and add contents to 1kg chicken and one medium onion"  Nope, we are currying up propper with this!

The area is also very old and there is one great little side ally that seems to take you right back in time.  It is of Tannon Chakpet and so narrow you need a motorcycle to get through.  I love walking these streets and back alleys on my own, sitting for a local coffee or tea and just taking in the way of life that is different from China Town next door and a world away from the swank of Sukhumvit, Siam Square and Sathorn.  Try it next time you are out.



One by product of this trip was finding the Indian Wholesalers had sacks full of dried marrowfat peas.  Which to the pie lover mean one thing.... MUSHY PEAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment