Thursday, January 19, 2012

Falang Thai Tax rebate. Whatever next!

blog search engine
food-drink links

I knew it was too good to be true as long ago as April 2010.  On this day, I was in the Tax Office in Chalong making my yearly (as in extra to my monthly payments and 6 monthly payments) contribution to Thai Society.  Didn't waste my breath giving them my thoughts on how to spend it.  I had about 25,000 baht in my pocket as this is what we had calculated it to be.  Surprise surprise... nothing to pay and in fact I (the great white Pie hope) was due a refund.

The staff are actually very nice in the Chalong Office and know Tony (our toddler) very well now and he has a play with them and likes to see if they are working or just playing solitaire on their computers.  We always made a point of paying our Tax and National Insurance equivalent in person and they sort of recognise me now after 6 years and half a million baht tax paid later.

I thought it too good to be true and put the money into a safe account "Knowing" I would have to go back and pay it at a later date when they realised I was a falang.  Didn't happen and they sent papers for me to claim it back, then they sent some inspectors round to count staff, see bills and eat some pies as proof we were working and not living off the proceeds of alcohol and sex.

The problem appeared to be that we had taken the company into profit almost instantly but them leveled out as we had no room for expansion. They thought we should by now, be a massive multi-national.  This time next year,  I told em and quoted my hero Del Boy from Only Fools and Horses, "We'll be millionaires!

So a few recalculations later they reduced the amount and I am now expecting the princely sum of 4,500 baht.  Better than nowt I suppose.

The cheque's in the post apparently.

Speaking of Del Boy, I watched this last night and been replaying Uncle Alberts War story through my head all day.


This series is the love of my life, and I watch little else when I need to relax.  More

1 comment: