Monday, January 23, 2012

Get me out of here, I'm a pie man. Memoires - Opening.

Last week, I started to write a blog about what drove me to leave my Dog (Arlo - was my greatest ever friend and my only regret was that I had to leave him behind) my secure job, house, career friends family and motorbikes.  I immediately realised that there was too much for one post, split it and split it into two, three, four posts and then decided to do a weekly installment.   I hadn't planned this but it seems like a good idea and over the course of the year gives me 52 posts in the bank.  If nothing else, I will have some raw material to work into something else next year.

In effect, it's an attempt at my memoirs, or an attempt to see if there are any memories left in my addled brain.  Not having any pictures and diarys, I am badgering people for photos and annecdotes from various places and times.  Something (Chang?) has so destroyed my memory that I have pictures of me through facebook on motorbikes I cannot even remember owning.

Age is also a factor.  Being 50 and looking at Tony growing up, I realise I'm not as young as I think anymore.  Ultimately, I suppose, by the time he is 50 and typing his stories up, I'll be boring the pants of St Peter with the intricacies of lattice work on pork and apple pies.

Originally the idea of this blog was to promote the Pie Shop, but much as I try, I can never think of much to say about it.  As soon as my hands hit the keyboard they want to type about motorbikes, travelling, working in France, diving, local diversions! and all the little things about Thailand that we love so much.  I want all my happiest fun memories in here. The few bad times along the way really are long since forgotten.... the exception being the Tsunami of 2004, but these are private memories now for most of us in Bang Niang and Khao Lak and will stay that way in this blog.

The other main thought now on the shop is that it is a minor stopping off point in my life.  I'ts not what I dreamed of doing and I have been actively planning to stop doing it almost since we started.  In a nutshell, I'd rather use what free time I have to write about mates and fun times and the Pie Shop can fend for it'self.  We spent so little time and effort promoting or expanding it, I am amazed it does anything at all.  I am just trapped by the immense wealth I have gleaned from it!!!  Its a living though and the best part of the job is I meet people every day and chat and learn things.

Later, there will be much on the mechanics of leaving the rat race in mid life.  Aimed at working or proffessional people that just had enough of life back home and want to leave.  I have quite a few people interested and when there are 50 or so, I'll start posting on this.  I do remember reading all the time during my last years in England.  Reading about work opportunities abroad and trying to turn the dream to reality.... which I did.

Yep, I did it, it was a roaring success and I have never regretted it for one single minute.  I have had 12 years of travel, excitement and friends across Europe and Asia which I never could possibly have imagined when I left school with that massive chip on my shoulder in 1977.

Background

My friends  fall into 4 distinct groups and most people in one part of my life know few, if any of people from any of the others which is a real shame as we all have had so much fun whatever we do..

There will be posts on each group.

Bikers
Harrogate Borough Council (My only real employer)
Thailand - Diving, travelling companions and People of the Pies!
Eurosite, France.  Absolutly the most exciting time of my life and I sill cannot believe I got that lucky.







No comments:

Post a Comment