Saturday, January 7, 2012

Get this song out of my head

I loved this movie when I first saw it and I have always like Alison Steadman as an actress since I saw her in Abigails Party.  This was my first Mike Leigh movie and by co-incidence I read an article on him about a month later and then watched a documentary on him.  I was impressed as they cast these films and plays and developed the characters, plot and lines as they went along.

I have the same approach to my work, quite often I start the day not knowing what I am doing or where I am going and just make it up as I go along.  This "impressed" quite a few of my bosses and customers down the years..... especially when I was taxi driving in France. 

I think Channel Four were showing cult films back in the 80's and Abigails Party was one of them.   Others in this series I remember were Gay Bikers on Acid, The Rocky Horror Picture show and some movie about Biker vampires, The Living Dead or something. Oh!!! and Stone, the one about the Australian Biker gang who all rode Z1's.   Wierd stuff.

The next movie of Mike Leighs I saw was High Hopes which I watched purely because one of the characters had a motorbike.  I was now hooked and started seeking out his movies.  Nuts in May a tale of two tedious eco hippies travelling in Dorset boring the pants of people.... No similarity there then.   This was next followed by Life is sweet and I was now hooked.

Unfortunatly, Nuts in May had a very annoying song in it that I have had stuck in my head since Muffin O'Clock (5:30am).  Please watch it, enjoy its gentle humour and let it get out of my head and  into yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment