Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Thai night in.

blog search engine
food-drink links

With the wonders of modern technology I have been able to catch up on some of my favourite movies.  More importantly, I have been able to read synopsis(es) filmographys, who's whos and biographies.

Tonight's offering is "Life is Sweet" by Mike Leigh... again... as I saw "High Hopes" yesterday and got the bug.  I saw and recognised Slater from Fools and Horses and read an article on Wiki about Jim Broadbent's career.  What impressed me most (as I am very shallow) was he had been offered the role of Del in Fools and Horses.... It says here.

It was a whole new experience for  Duang (my wife and partner in Pies for the past 8 years) as she sat riveted, not having seen a movie of this type before.  No real plot or violence.  True Mike Leigh at his best and he held her, as he has held me for 30 years, riveted, longing for less - less plot - and more background, more insight into the class ridden English way of life.  We were only disappointed by the ending of the movie. In that it had an ending.   I could have watched it in real time.

Original hook for me was that Cyril was a motorbike courier.  Unusual for biker roles, he was also the dry wit and intellect of the piece.  The scene in the pool room could have been the Turks Head in Ripon in its heyday and I recognised bits of myself and my friends in there.

Note. I must google Mike Leigh more often... even though he has never bought any pies from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment