Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Wanky Tankies Bar!!! Pattaya time again?

blog search engine
food-drink links

Chatting to my mate Charlie today I discovered once again, it is almost time for his birthday.  This means two things... we are still getting older, but more importantly we might be heading back to the scene of some of his more memorable birthday bashes.  Wankie Tankies.  and that bar next door that I don't know the name of despite drinking there for almost 7 years.  Charlie tends to stay there, I stay at Tankies.




Yes it really exists and I have a number of friends in there that I have known for 6-7 years now.  Started off that I would go drinking down there at Songkran, my wife NOT being a fan and an out and out avoider of it at all costs and all  times... the polar opposite to me.  So, I was turned loose in Pattaya at Songkran, met a group of like mindeds and a new chapter began.

This bar is a retreat for me, it's somewhere I can go, just sit and chat in the day, drink tea and coffee and catch up on sleep.  Nobody bats an eye lid if I don't get up for an entire day, surface early evening and have breakfast or just plain drink all night, watch the sunrise and pop off to bed at 7am.

Charlies birthday 3 years ago as I recall had the loudest imaginable Isaan band playing on the footpath directly outside the bar next door.  The group did absolutely banging Isaan music, so fast and with dancing and shrieking and of course, drinking.  Drink plays a massive part up there and is the reason I could never live in Pattaya... unless I ever opt for suicide by chang.

We saw Elvis. Michael Jackson and even a magician all for free.   Most of the Soi joined in and the party went on till the early hours and was riveting to watch with probably 50 or so passers by just stood watching, dancing, laughing and taking pics.  I hope we can do this again some day, but I fear it won't be this year as we are all married and as such, under strict Pattaya curfews... if not outright bans.

The music is chosen by the customer and a scramble for the juke box greets the end of each track.  Broad selection from Punk days, Jam, Kinks (all tracks played, but Lola especially when the ladyboys are walking past on their way to work)  The Who 50's crooners and comedy clips.  Two clips that sum up the bar for me are Dean Martin, Little old wine drinker and the Wanky Tankies "Anthem" Nelly the Elephant by the Toy Dolls.  My 3 year old loves Toy Dolls and the teachers are having to reign him in a bit when they teach it at school.






I'll put a separate play list on one day, but for now... the music takes me back to Tennessee Wanky Tankies!

Full every night and a great atmosphere.  Not a girly bar, which for Soi Yamoto in Pattaya is unique in itself.  There is a very active social scene of two quiz nights and two darts nights every week plus the odd golf outing and cricket match.  They won the Pattaya cricket sixes last year so a great boost for a bar that is no bigger than the average living room back in England.

Legendary are the polo shirts worn at darts matches which have the word WANKERS boldly splashed right across the back in large letters.  They are worn with pride and always raise a smile at away games.    I'll get some pics at  Songkran when I am next back.

Always a warm Black Country welcome and great place to crash, being less than 100m from beach and cheap as chips. At Charlie's last birthday I attended, they were looking for golf clubs to see if they could land a ball on the beach from the bar in a bid to confirm its proximity to the sea.  Luckily for all concerned, none could be found.  Some real comedians in here and a great nights humorous piss-taking is assured, but you must sharpen your wits with a few beers to get the most out of it.

Say hello to Carlton if you are there before me and if you should see me and Charlie there... mum's the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment